Mum was out of town and so, I decided to play 家家酒 again. Asked the sis what she would like to have and voila! Yep, 咕噜肉 aka sweet and sour pork.
Recipe was searched from one of mum’s recipe books and the end product? We were quite satisfied. Looks like the real thing and taste pretty good. Here’s how to get it done,
2 strips of Pork Belly
A can for pineapple, cut into quarters
2 tomatoes, diced (I used cherry tomatoes as I had some leftovers)
Green and Red Capsicums (I did not add any as none of us likes them)
1 cup of corn starch
1 egg yolk
1/2 tbs soy sauce
1/2 tbs rice wine
1 tbs corn starch
4 tbs tomato sauce aka ketchup
4 tbs sugar (advice: lessen this amount, it’s quite sweet)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs vinegar
1/4 cup of water
1/2 tbs corn starch
– Mix everything to make the sauce and set aside
1. Remove pork skin and tenderize the pork using the back of the knife in chopping action
2. Dice the meat into desired size
3. Add the marination ingredients and mix well. Set aside for about 1 hour.
4. Heat up oil in the Pan (half of the depth of the ocher deeper HCP)
5. Coat the meat with corn starch and fry in the hot oil until golden (tip: the lazy method I used was to put the meat n corn starch into a clear plastic bag and shake till well-coated.)
6. Remove meat and strain oil
7. Heat up HCP and add about 2 tbs of oil
8. Add the prepared sauce and heat till thick and a bit starchy.
9. Add the meat and stir till each piece is coated with sauce
10. Add the tomatoes, capsicums and pineapple and stir fry till well-coated
Here’s the entire dinner done using Happycall.