It is always a joy when your kid asks you to cook something that you have done so before. It is a sign that the dish is a something he or she enjoys eating. For Big K, baked rice is one of the most asked for dish for her lunch. Definitely not the healthiest in the world because she likes it creamy. So, what I do is to add ingredients that are higher in nutritional value. My past versions often included bacon because cream and bacon simply go hand in hand. But things like bacon, sausage and ham are items that I am desperately keeping to the minimal in their diet. So today, I decided to explore a little bit on the same basic baked rice recipe by replacing bacon with chicken breast meat and long beans. Not a new recipe definitely because there are sooooooooo many baked rice recipes online. Nonetheless, it’s relatively easy and I thought I could just share here.
Baked Creamy Chicken Rice
One cup of cooked rice (I am definitely going to buy some brown rice soon to reduce their intake of white rice)
One chicken breast meat (about 200-250 g); marinated in 1 tbsp of Japanese soy sauce and 1 tbsp of mirin and 1 tbsp of corn flour. The latter gives the chicken tenderness.
4 long beans, cut into about 1 – 2 cm in length
2 tbsp of plain flour
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of chicken stock
One cup of cheddar and mozzarella cheese
(Note that I vary the amount of milk and chicken stock when I cook. I will vary accordingly to get the consistency I want. I will also add water to reduce the saltiness of the dish)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- In a baking dish (I use Pyrex 26 cm by 15 cm dish), add a tsp of olive oil and use paper towel to grease the base of the dish. Line the base with the white rice.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a frying pan and add the marinated chicken and stir fry for about 5 mins.
- Add the cut long beans and stir fry.
- Add the plain flour and quicky stir. Followed by milk and chicken stock. remember to continue stirring or whisking to ensure a smooth consistency. This is where the liquids can be adjusted to get the creamy texture.
- Once the consistency is what you want, turn off the fire and pour the creamy sauce onto of the rice in the baking dish.
- Add the cheese on top of the sauce and baked for 30-40 mins.
So, there you are, Big K’s favourite baked rice from my kitchen. Of course, this can be varied by changing the ingredients such as replacing the chicken with seafood or bacon or sausage. The long beans can also be replace by mixed vegetables or broccoli.